Tuesday 16 April 2013

No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Clusters

Back when I was a kid, my Grandma made us these AMAZING chocolate covered cookie things with pretzle, rice krispie (I think) and other such goodies in them. Unfortunately, I have NO idea how she made them, and haven't been able to nail down the recipie. SO, when I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I was really excited because it looked very close to my fave cookie!

When I made it using the original recipe (can be found here) they were quite good, but were missing the crunch factor I loved about my Grandmother's recipe. Luckily for me, the next time I went to make them I just happened to have a box of cornflakes that I never opened from a different baking adventure so I thought "why the heck not!"

They are DELISHHHH! Also, they are more of a cluster than a cookie, which sounds more exotic IMO.

Ingredients:
2 Cups Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup of Butter
3 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
1/2 Cup Milk
1/2 Crunchy Peanut Butter (MUST be Crunchy, not smooth)
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Oatmeal (you know, for healthy reasons)
2 Cups Corn Flakes

Method:
Mix the sugar, butter, cocoa powder in milk in a pot (saucepan?) and bring to a boil. DO THIS SLOWLY. I'm no master baker, but trust me when I tell you anything to do with heating sugar/chocolate needs to be done slowly. Boil for 1 min.

Mmmm, Chocolatey

Stir in PB and Vanilla (I'm usually generous with the vanilla, mm mm good) then transfer to a large bowl (much easier to mix in the other stuff in a new bowl)

Quickly, stir in the oatmeal and the cornflakes. You'll have something that looks like this:
Mmmmm, Clustery
Spoon this "batter" onto parchment (or foil) lined cookie sheet(s). You can make them as big or as small as you like! I like to make them small for a bite-sized snack (so made about 30 clusters). Stick in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm up!

Although I like the texture of these better when they are not frozen, I suggest you store them IN the freezer.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment