Monday 6 May 2013

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookie Bars

So the other night, around 8pm, I was sitting on the couch, watching baseball (woooooo...) and feeling restless. We hadn't gone grocery shopping in about 2 weeks so my baking supplies were limited but I HAD to get up and do something. Running had helped earlier in the evening, but my twitchy legs were back. 

So, I took to trusty Pinterest to help solve my baking woes. I kid you not, the FIRST pin that I saw was this guy here. I got excited because I thought MAYBE I would have all the ingredients, so excitedly I clicked through to the page and lo and behold, even in Mother Hubbards bare kitchen, I still had enough ingredients to bake this *happy dance*

So, I made up a batch, using this exact recipe from Lil' Luna and they lasted all of 2 days in our apartment because they were THAT DERN GOOD!

Thursday eve rolls around, baking supplies are even LOWER but I needed another treat to leave my hubs while I was away for the weekend. I still had almost everything in the original recipe except the neccessary amount of butter.

What is a girl to do?

When in doubt, add peanut butter (I just made that up, PB is not always the answer. Neither is drugs, kids)

HOLY HEAVEN. You MUST TRY THESE. NOW.

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sifted flour (I don't own a sifter, so I just stir the lumps out of the flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and greese a 9 x 9 Baking Pan (I didn't have one, so I used a Cornell casserole dish instead...don't judge)


Melt butter, sugar and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl until melted (you will need to stir a couple of times during this process). Set aside and let cool.

**I am extremely impatient with this kind of thing so I danced around the kitchen for a little bit, played with Molly and bugged my hubby. **

Once it it cool, or coolish in my case, add the egg and vanilla and mix together until well combined. Add the dry ingredients slowly and blend well.

Press mixture into your baking pan. Next (don't you worry, silly goose, I didn't forget the chocolate!) sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Go wild with them, but don't be excessive.



Put in the oven and bake for about 20-25 mins or until it is golden brown and you can do the toothpick thing. You know, where you put the toothpick in and if it comes out clean, it's done?

Again, allow to cool for as long as you can. Again, in our household this was approximately 3.5 mins.

*NOTE* If you're making this for a party or a dinner or more than just you and your significant other, I would double the recipe. However, J doesn't like to share, so I don't need to worry about taking this anywhere.

Also, this would taste SPECTACULAR with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment