Tuesday 3 September 2013

Color Me Rad, Pickles and the Future!

I can honestly say that this was one of the BEST weekends I've had in awhile. It incorporated everything that makes me happy and then some.

First, I want to talk about COLOR ME RAD. For those of you who don't know what this is, it is a 5KM "run" where throughout the race you get COVERED in coloured powder. As an example, you start the race out like this:

Hubby and I, all nice and clean...
And then you END the run looking a little something like THIS:

COLOUR COVERED
This was Hubby's first 5K ever and he did AMAZINGLY. I was so so proud of him. We stopped a few times to walk with the peeps we were running with, but he was RARING to go the whole time. I think I see a new running buddy in my future....(maybe) :)

Here is our AMAZING TEAM - Do or Dye:

DO OR DYE - clean
DO OR DYE - Coloured!
So you may be asking yourself "Why would anyone in their right mind want to RUN 5K and get pummled with coloured powder?"

I don't really have an answer for you other than - it was so much damn fun. Everyone from the wee tots ...(like my amazing little friend here):



...to us old folk had a blast. The race isn't timed, there is no pressure, it's just a perfect excuse to let loose, get dirty and have a good time doing it. Everyone who did the race was so fun and so excited as well. There were gratuitous high-fives given, smiles were EVERYWHERE and honestly, it was so hard to contain your excitement. Sure, the powder in the mouth wasn't the most pleasant thing, but honestly, you barely noticed. You just wanted to get as colourful as possible (I MAY or may not have rolled around on the ground w/ my friend L to get more colourful.)

It's been three days since the run and I'm still thinking about it and smiling. I'm still going back and re-living the whole thing. I think what was so great about the experience is that it didn't matter how much of a runner you are, or how much you trained, you still enjoyed it. It was also amazing to see friends who I have been training with & had JUST started running embrace the run head on, and go crazy with it (You know who you are. A & K & S). Friends have that NEVER run before did the same thing (and did so like total champs).

Also, we ran by a field of Sunflowers, which for those of you who don't know, are my favourite flower of all time. Sooooo, that pretty much sealed the deal for me.


Anyway, to close off this part of the post, if this run (or any of the other similar races like Run or Dye or The Color Run) ever comes up in your area...GO. Even if you aren't a runner, even if it totally terrifies you to get this messy. DO IT. It is SO LIBERATING! It's impossible to not enjoy. To see if they're coming to a town near you, check out colormerad.com. Also you get awesome swag, like sweet sunglasses, a shirt and a RAD tattoo...let's face it, it's all about the swag :)

 So after our crazy colour adventure, Hubby and I headed over to my Dad's place to make some Pickles. Yes, you read that right...Pickles. I have a Mennonite heritage and although I don't necessarily practice, I still embrace many parts of my background. One of these things is canning. I have been making jam, pickles, tomato juice etc. for my whole life and I'm not about to stop now!

My grandmother's pickles are PRETTY MUCH the greatest pickles ever. I KNOWWW, you probably have a recipe as well that is amazing, but this one is...I can't even tell you how good they are. I'm actually drooling right now thinking about them.

Here are a few shots from our Pickling Adventure:

Grandma, Grandpa & my Dad

It all starts with the base...

Jars are stuffed and topped with fresh dill

In just two months time, these will be perfect!
YUMMMMM, I can't wait until these are ready. Probably my favourite thing to break into when the weather gets cool. Also a fave part of Thanksgiving. Pickles, Tomato Juice and Turkey! EEEEK!

So what's next?

I have some great things to share with you soon! I have been working on a few posts about how to overcome a plateau, how to stay motivated and "Exercise - the Lazy Girls Way" All of these have been started and I will be posting them as they are finished!

ALSO, for the upcoming season of Fall/Thanksgiving,  I'm going to post a themed treat/food every week. As it is Fall, some will be pumpkin-flavoured treats, but I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin, so some will just be autum related (like Apple goodness...mmmmmm) or cold weather related (like a new soup or stew).

For Christmas, starting November 1st, I'm going to post treats that I think would make GREAT holiday gifts. If you're on a tight budget like I am, making treats for others not only makes a yummy gift, but also shows you put thought and effort into it, and this Christmas, that's my goal!

Finally, there are only 4 month left of 2013 - I have a few more items on my list to check off including, but not limited to: losing this Summer 10lbs I've put on and to start practicing Yoga on a weekly basis.

I'm going to do everything in my power to make the next four months REALLY count! Who's with me?????

2 comments:

  1. Your enthusiasm jumps off the screen! Always love reading your posts Lisa! Thanks for bringing us along your Color Me Rad journey :) Looking forward to your next posts! Haha, I can definitely use that "Exercise - the Lazy Girls Way" post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Janine, you are way too sweet! :) Thank you so much, I'm so glad!

      HA! I need it too, this summer I have NOT been on my game. Thanks for commenting, I really appreciate it! :) <3

      Delete