Thursday 19 September 2013

Maple Pecan Struesel Pumpkin Bread

Okay, I have a confession. I have this weird aversion to ALL pumpkin related food and drink. It wasn't until YESTERDAY that I had my first Pumpkin Spice Latte (or PSL, for all those in the know). I've never had pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin scones, nothing. There is something about pumpkin that grossed me out.

However, in the spirit of my Fall Baking Series for the blog, and the apparent LOVE that everyone else on the planet has for pumpkin, I decided to try out this Maple Pecan Struesel Pumpkin Bread. I like maple, I like pecans and I like bread...so I could maybe get around the pumpkin.

So, the first thing I had to do was find canned pumpkin. For some reason I started in the canned vegtable aisle, but was informed by a very friendly FreshCo employee that it was actually in the baking section. Next, I needed Pumpkin Pie Spice. I couldn't find it ANYWHERE. Not at Walmart, not at FreshCo or NoFrills, not even at Bulk Barn. I finally found a teeeeeeeeeeny tiny can of it at Loblaws for 5 FREAKING DOLLARS. For spice.

Given that I don't even LIKE pumpkin, this hurt me to spend, but again, for the sake of the blog, I obliged!

I have to admit, when I was spooning the pumpkin out of the can into the measuring cup, I almost puked. However, when all was said and done, I actually couldn't get enough of this bread. We had it for breakfast almost every morning (while it lasted, which was really only 2 mornings). It goes amazingly with a fresh cuppa joe!

I hope you try this one, it was SUPER easy and SUPER yummy and is such a scrumptious fall treat!

Maple Pecan Struesel Pumpkin Bread
adapted from Hot Polka Dot

Ingredients:
For the Bread
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt 
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup (use the real kind, trust me)
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil  

For the Struesel
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar 
1/4 tsp pumpkin spice
1/4 cup UNSALTED butter (this time, deffo use unsalted)
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Method:
Place your rack in the oven in the middle of the over. Preheat it to 375 degrees F.
Butter a 9" loaf pan with butter (I don't have an actual loaf pan, so I had to go out and buy the one-time use one that I think was 8" but still worked!) Next, fit a piece of parchment in pan and make sure there is enough hanging over the side!

Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl!

Using your mixer, combine the pumpkin puree (yeeeeeeeeeeeeuck!) sugar, maple syrup, egg and oil.  Next, mix in the dry ingredients until JUST combined. (For the record, I don't know what JUST combined means...I just make sure it looks blended but not totally mixed...if that makes any sense)


Not going to lie, I was completely shocked that the batter was orange. Why? Wishful thinking, maybe?? Either way, it actually kind of looked like baby poo. So far, this wasn't helping my total distaste for pumpkin. 

A BABY POOED ON MY MIXER!
Next, making the Struesel...what is Struesel? I have no idea...up until last week, I thought it was a type of pastry, soooooo this was an interesting experience. 

In a small bowl, whisk the flour, sugar and pumpkin spice together. Next, cut in the butter (again, wtf does this mean????) until the butter is pea sized. Make sure you use UNSALTED. I used Salted and the top of the bread was, well...quite salty! 

Kind of Pea Size?
Next, pour the patter into your loaf pan and smooth out the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the struesel on top 

Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 mins or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean! Because my pan was shorter, it took mine a little longer. I also didn't have a toothpick, so I had to use a wooden BBQ skewer.


Let it cool in the pan for 5-10 mins and then remove by lifting it out by the parchment paper!

ET VOILA!
So, with great fear, I cut it up...


...and had a bite. 

Yummmmm. So very good. I'm totally hooked now. My husband has been asking me to make this almost every day. As I mentioned though, next time I will use unsalted butter. The crust was really yummy, but just a TAD too salty!

If you try this one out, please let me know! I'd love to hear what you think about it! Actually, come to think of it, if you every try any of the recipes I post, please let me know what you think! I'd love love love to see your creations!!!!!

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment