Monday 9 September 2013

The ULTIMATE Healthified Buffalo Chicken Dip

I am SO HAPPY to finally be back into the swing of things. The last month or so has been absolutely crazy, and a lot of posting/baking/working out etc. got pushed to the side. Not only did this make me sad (the not baking part) but I also felt totally gross.

 This summer I did the occasional lazy run and a couple of Zumba classes, but I ate poorly and just stopped taking care of myself. Not for any other reason than because I was tired, over-worked and stressed out (which really, is the MOST IMPORTANT time to keep active, but...you know). I quickly forgot how much exercising helps me to get my sh*t together (even if all I want to do is sleep and eat).

Last week though, I pulled up my socks, put on my big girl (stretchy) pants and made my way to Zumba/Running/Tabata. I may have gained *gulp* 10lbs this summer, but I'm not letting that change how I feel about myself. Onwards and upwards! :)

Onto to the recipe! This is the first recipe in my Fall Baking Series - I figure since Football season is starting AND because this dip it is warm and buffalo-chickeney, it works perfectly!

I had seen this AH-MAZING recipe for this "Healthified" Buffalo Chicken dip awhile back, that I've been dying to try but never really had a reason.  This weekend however, was my AMAZING Mum's birthday! We were having a soiree at her house on Saturday and I was in charge of bringing an appitizer. PERFECT!

I cannot express to you how amazing this dip is. It is warm, gooey, cheesy, buffalo-y and healthier than your average Football Sunday dip. Don't get me wrong, it is in NO way low-cal, but it IS healthier.

I also did a couple of things for the first time trying this recipe: I poached chicken (who knew?) and shredded chicken for the first time! Whoot!

Again, you MUST try this dip. I could eat this every day for the rest of my life. I love it so much.

The ULTIMATE "Healthified" Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients:
2 poached chicken breasts
2 packages of low-fat cream cheese
1 cup of low-fat sour cream
3/4 cup Franks Hot Sauce (you can use the Buffalo style one, I just used regular)
1 tsp garlic powder
1.5 cup reduced fat cheese, shredded (I used full fat, old cheddar. Added a nice ZING)
Chips, baby carrots, pita slices etc. for dipping

Method:

To poach your chicken breast (in case you're like me and didn't know what that meant):
In a large pot, put your chicken breast so that they are laying flat at the bottom. Cover with water up to a 1/2 inch is over the chicken. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat until water is simmering and leave to cook for about 10 mins. Then, remove from heat and leave for another 10-15 mins. 

To shred your chicken: I just used 2 forks and literally just shredded the chicken. Basically I scraped at it until it pulled apart. I was quite proud of the end result:

Mmmm...shredded
 DIP:
Pre -heat your oven to 350 degrees F

Mix all the ingredients (Except for 1/2 cup of cheese) together either by hand or by mixer (the paddle attachment on my Kitchen Aid mixer worked perfectly!)  


*Note* To keep true to the recipe, you can use low-fat cheese. However, I LOOOOOVE me some old cheddar, so I used that instead and I think it added some amazing flavour to the dip!

Once it is all mixed, it will look a little bit like barf:

Next, transfer it to a loaf pan or any sort of baking dish that you think will work best for you. I used a Pyrex baking dish!

Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top and pop into the oven for 15 mins. Then, switch to broil and let it sit for another 1-2 mins to get the cheese all nice and bubbly!

It's quite hot when it comes out of the oven (duh!) but as per usual, I couldn't help myself! I brought the Multigrain Scoops with me and they worked perfectly! In this picture however, my sister is using blue corn chips (she's a "Glutard" as she affectionately refers to herself).

Seriously, I'm drooling right now. I could eat this stuff by the spoonful.

Anyway, this dip was a HUGE hit, definitely something I'll be making for future get-togethers and potlucks!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUMZY! I love you!


1 comment:

  1. "Once it is all mixed, it will look a little bit like barf:" LMFAO! Well done, it looks delish! :D

    ReplyDelete