Monday 28 October 2013

Apple & Banana Kitchen Sink Bread

Okay, I have a confession. I'm really just biding my time with these Fall themed recipes. I absolutely cannot WAIT to start Christmas Baking. I KNOW, I KNOW, everyone hates Christmas but...

There is just SOMETHING about the whole holiday that I love. The snow, the specialty coffees, the anticipation in the air, the music and most importantly...THE FOOD. Eggnog this, peppermint that...it's just the best.

That all being said, I have a 2 more Fall Baking posts to share with you.

This one is of my own imagination. Basically, I only had 2 ripe bananas and 1 apple to work with, and a brand new loaf pan, so I decided to turn them into something. I also had a little bit left of everything else in this recipe, hence the "Kitchen Sink." If you're nut-free, you can omit the nuts and the bread will still be super yummy!



Apple & Banana Kitchen Sink Bread
basic banana bread recipe from simplyrecipes.com
Ingredients:
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 medium apple chopped up into small piece
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Method:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

With a wooden spoon, combine the melted butter with your mashed bananas and chopped apples in a large mixing bowl. Next, mix in the sugar, egg and vanilla. Sprinkle the salt and baking soda over the mixture and incorporate. Add the flour and combine completely until a nice dough forms. FINALLY, add the kitchen sink (everything else) and mix until everything is evenly distributed.

Pour batter into a 8" loaf pan (mine was a 9" so the bread came out a little thinner) and bake for 1 hour or until you can insert a tooth pick and it comes out cleanly.

Let cool on a rack. Since we don't wait until anything is cool, we cut into it right away :)

This bread is especially good with a coffee or tea in the morning :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment