Wednesday 23 October 2013

Apple Cinnamon Scones

I have a confession. Although my blog is called "Running to Bake" I've been SERIOUSLY lacking on the running side of things. For awhile I made a whole host of excuses as to why I haven't been running. I've been too busy, or it's been raining, or I feel guilty if I don't bring the dogs, blah, blah, blah. Then, I started to become afraid of it again. I would put it off, and assume that I'd get back to it eventually. But I didn't.

I started getting depressed. Work has been really insane recently, I haven't been sleeping and even though I was doing Zumba, I was teaching, so it's not really the same brain break I've been craving.

Finally, the other day, I made a deal with myself. I would go out, even for 5 mins and see how it feels. In my heart of hearts I knew I needed to, but that anxious part of myself was terrified.

So I went. For 25 mins...and it felt f*cking awesome. My legs and lungs burned, but every time I tried to slow down, my legs kept pumping me forward. I felt like a puppy whose been cooped up in the house for too long. By the end of the run, I was panting, smiling and even crying. It felt so good.

When I got home, I was so inspired & excited, I HAD to make something (after all, this IS Running to Bake). I made myself a BIG ol' batch of homemade chips (hubby had some too, ok??) and prepared these apple scones to pop into the oven the next morning.

Let me tell you, there is noting quite like the smell of baking and coffee in the morning to pull you out of a funk. Oh yea...this face helped too:

I've never made scones before I tried this recipe, so I wouldn't say they were perfect, but they sure did taste delish with coffee and a little butter on them (peanut butter would have been good too!)

This is also my SECOND last post in my fall baking series. I'm kind of excited because I'm tired of pumpkin everything and I CAN'T WAIT TO START HOLIDAY BAKING!!!!!! IT'S MY FAVE TIME OF YEAR! AJDSNFDNVLDKVNLDKVNLKN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

Apple Cinnamon Scones
adapted from King Arthur Flour

Ingredients:
2 & 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp Apple Pie Spice or cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter (I used unsalted)
3/4 cup apple, peeled & cut into 1/2" pieces (I used granny smith apples)
3/4 cup cinnamon chips (optional, I didn't use them)
2 large eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce

Topping
3 tbsp sugar (coarse works best, but granulated is fine too)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Method:

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and apple pie spice. Using a knife (or your hands) work in the butter until everything is crumbly and uneven. I don't really know what this means, but I cut the butter into chunks and then mixed it in with the flour with my hands. Stir in the chopped apples and the cinnamon chips (if using). 

In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and apple sauce. When combined, add to the the dry ingredients and stir together until dough is moistened and stays together.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle flour on top (this stuff is STICKY!)

Place dough on the baking sheet and divide in half. Pat and round each half so that it is about 5" in diameter and 3/4" thick. I didn't do that, obviously, I just kind of eye-balled it, but if you want to measure, by all means, go for it!

Next, to make the topping. In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon. Coarse sugar would be best for this, but I only have the granulated stuff. Using a pastry brush, brush both mounds with milk and generously sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture on top. The more the better as the scones themselves are not that sweet! 

The next part of the recipe requires the use of a regular knife, or a bench knife.

What is a bench knife you may ask? This is it. You're welcome.
Moving right along, using a regular knife of bench knife that you have run under cold water (can't help you with why you need to run it under water, sorry), cut each circle into 6. For those not so hot on fractions, do not cut it in half and then in half again. Just a friendly tip...

Pull the wedges away from the center and separate them just a bit. This is easier said then done...they're very difficult to work with. I almost went all "Psycho" with my regular knife, but reminded myself to stay calm. 

Now, if you're planning on making these right away, place your scones in the freezer for 30 mins. This relaxes the gluten (it's had a hard day) and will make your scones fluffier...or something. 

I put mine in the fridge overnight so that I could bake them first thing in the morning. 

Either way, at this point, pre-heat your over to 425 degrees F. After your gluten is nice and zen, bake the scones for 18-22 mins or until the tops are golden brown. When you go to pull them apart, they should look baked all the way through. 

Serve warm...this is VERY IMPORTANT. Scones need to be eaten when warm. That's just a fact of life. 

Enjoy!

1 comment: