Tuesday 15 October 2013

Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies

Well my friends, I only have 2 more weeks left of my fall baking series until I switch over to my Holiday Baking Series (which I'm pretty much beside myself with excitement for!). I think out of all the fall recipes I've made so far (here, here and here) these are one of my faves!

Every year for Thanksgiving, my Grandmother brings her ah-mazing pies for dessert (her apple pie is actually the best apple pie in the world. True story) Unfortunately for my sister and her boyfriend though, these pies are not gluten free. So, I promised I would bring a dessert this year that was GF. Originally, I wanted to try and make some Pumpkin Pie Truffles that I saw on Six Sisters Stuff  but ran out of time. So, I sent hubs on an internet mission to find another GF dessert that was quick, easy and looked yummy and thisis what he found at SheKnows.com.

Look at these beautiful things! Fudgy, moist, chocolatey...totally delish. Everyone in the family enjoyed them as well, which doesn't usually happen when it comes to GF food. It was a Thanksgiving Miracle.



Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies
adapted from SheKnows.com
Ingredients:
4 oz Semi-Sweet baking chocolate
1 3/4 cups canned pumpkin pie filling
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2/3 cup plain yogurt (I used Activia)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup all purpose gluten-free flour (I used Bobs Red Mill)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt

Method: 
In a double boiler, melt the baking chocolate (I don't have a double boiler, so I just places a glass mixing bowl over boiling water) When melted, remove chocolate from the stove and let cool, about 5-10 mins.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a LARGE mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, apple sauce, yogurt, vanilla, melted chocolate and sugar and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. I suggest that you sift the flour first as I found mine was quite lumpy. Whisk these ingredients together.

Next, whisk the dry ingredients into the wet (now you'll see why I emphasized LARGE mixing bowl) until combined. Pour batter into a OILED baking dish (Mine was a 14" x 8") and put in the oven.

Bake for about 1 hour. You'll know they are done when you stick a fork into the middle and it comes out clean. Let cool for 30 mins or so before cutting into them. They'll look almost like they aren't done, but trust me, that is the magic of these brownies!


Happy Baking!

- Lisa
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest too! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa, two things: you forgot to let us know when to put in the melted chocolate! I added it to the wet ingredients before mixing with the dry. Also, the tbsp looks a lot like the tsp. It helps me to have the tablespoon "T" capitalized so I can tell the difference easily.
    I enjoying the smell of the baking brownies now! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! I'm so sorry I didn't reply sooner! I've updated the post to include when to add the chocolate! Also, I've updated the font on my blog so that it is easier to read! Thank you SO much for your feedback, I really, really appreciate it! :) - Lisa

      Delete