Monday 25 November 2013

Christmas Baking Series #2: Eggnog Truffles

I think I may be in love. Eggnog is one of my FAVOURITE parts of the holiday season. I think this is because when I was younger, it's appearance in the fridge meant that Christmas was near and that the festivities were about to get started!

I actually don't really buy it anymore, mostly because I prefer to eat my calories as opposed to drink them (...except when I'm drinking red wine...that's different, it has health benefits.)

Luckily, I found this recipe for Eggnog Truffles on Pinterest (is there really anywhere else to find recipe's nowadays?) which means I can basically EAT eggnog...which also means, that everything is now right in the world.

They are a bit finicky to make, but they were WELL worth it. Hubs was even impressed with how good they were. I was just happy that there was just the right amount of "Nog" (as my sister would say) in them and they satisfy my Eggnog cravings. I will be making these again for SURE!


Eggnog Truffles
original recipe from McCormick

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups white baking chocolate 
1/2 (4 oz) brick cream cheese
1/4 cup icing sugar
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp rum extract (add more if you want more "nog")
additional nutmeg for sprinkling

Method:
In a thick bottomed pot, melt 1 cup of the white chocolate on LOW heat. Stir frequently as you don't want the chocolate to burn. In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and beat again until fully combined. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for about 4 hours.

Once your mixture is somewhat firm, roll into 24 balls (I ended up with 26 because some of my balls were smaller) and put on a tray lined with wax paper. Put in the freezer for about 1 hour so the get nice and firm!

Now, this next part was a first time for me. When I dip things in chocolate, I usually do so while it is on the stove. However, I usually burn the chocolate and get angry. This method prevented that from happening :)

Place about 3/4 cup of white chocolate into a microwaveable bowl and heat for about 1 min. Take out the bowl, stir and place back in for another 30 seconds. Really make sure you watch the chocolate. My microwave is very temperamental so I took it out and stirred about ever 30 seconds.While this is happening, line a baking sheet with parchment paper OR foil. Either works.

Next, dip 12 of the truffles in the chocolate using a fork. I mean, you don't REALLY dip, it's more like, drop the truffle in the bowl, roll it around using the fork and then lift the covered truffle out by scooping it out with the fork and letting the chocolate drain off for a couple of seconds. Place the truffle on your baking sheet by shoving it off the fork with your finger. Using the fork hand (the one NOT covered in chocolate) sprinkle some nutmeg on top. 

After the first 12 are done, add the rest (3/4 cup) of the chocolate and melt again. Repeat the above. 

If you have any chocolate left over (I did) simply throw in about 1 tsp of rum extract and 1/2 tsp of nutmeg into the chocolate, stir it all together, pour it on some foil and VOILA, eggnog bark! It won't be much, but I can't STAND to waste leftover chocolate. 

Put the truffles and the bark (if you have any) in your freezer for about 30 mins. Remove from baking sheet and store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.

Enjoy!
- Lisa
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment