Monday 23 December 2013

Christmas Baking Series #6: Mini Egg Shortbread Cookies

Wow....I just...wow. This weekend was the weekend to END all weekends. It was like, 5 weekends mushed into one. First we had Hubby's Birthday Party on the Friday. I did a surprise "Build His Bar" theme for him so everyone brought him a bottle of booze to stock his bar. It's something he's always wanted to do, but we've just never been able to. Let me tell you, it is now FULLY stocked and he's PRETTY excited about it:

 Not to brag, but we also had an EPIC(ish) DIY photo booth, which people enjoyed immensely!  Add in some ugly Christmas Sweaters and silly props, and you've got yourself a party!


The next day, we had a family Christmas. Hubs and I were running on basically NO sleep, but we still had an amazing time. Lots of food, family and games. Loved it!

However, on the way home, we caught wind that there was an EPIC ice storm coming. I mean, we all knew something was coming, but we didn't know how bad it was going to be. When Jon and I FINALLY got home (and basically skated up the path to our house) we weren't too worried about the storm.

Turns out....it was basically the apocalypse. There were trees down, power out pretty much everywhere and ice about 1/4" thick on the car. I was supposed to head downtown to meet with my Dad and sister, but I couldn't even get into my car. So, I took pictures instead.




After we DID unfreeze my car, we headed to a family Christmas. Hubs and I both had NO power in our phones, or house, or laptop and our car charger was missing. I've never felt so useless in my whole life. When we FINALLY got home last night around midnight....STILL NO POWER. It was cold, gross, horrible and cold. Luckily, the power DID go up around 5am, but I know the same cannot be said for MOST of the GTA, so I know we're pretty lucky to have power.

ANYWAY - what a mess. I'm epically exhausted and really just want to curl up with a big ol' glass of rum and eggnog. Oh, and eat these incredible cookies I'm about to tell you about.


These cookies are truly amazing. First, the shortbread is just to DIE for. It's everything shortbread should be. Then, with the addition of Mini Eggs? Heaven. I know Mini Eggs are more an Easter Treat, but they come in Christmas colours and that's why I'm adding this recipe to my Christmas Baking Series.

Also, this shortbread is amazing on its own, so it would be perfect to bring to any holiday party!

Mini Egg Shortbread Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup flour 
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 200g bag of Mini Eggs, crushed

Method:
Preheat Oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.

In the bowl of your stand mixer, sift together the flour, cornstarch and icing sugar. Add the butter and mix together on low until a stiff dough is formed. 

Using a wooden spoon, mix in the mini eggs. It's OK if there are some large pieces and some smaller pieces. In fact, it's better when it is a mix of sizes!

Once mixed in, roll dough into 1" balls and placed on your prepared cookie sheets. Press down on the dough with your fingers to flatten. You should have about 24-25 cookies. 

Put in oven for 22-24 mins on the middle shelf. After about 20 mins, keep an eye on the cookies to see if they start to brown. Shortbread Cookies are tricky to judge because you don't really want them to go brown, so just keep checking them. 

 Do not bake for longer than 24 mins or else the candy coating of the mini eggs will be really sticky when you bite into them. 

Take them out of the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy with a cold glass of milk. These things will melt right in your mouth!


Enjoy!

- Lisa
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment