Monday 13 January 2014

Dill Pickle Soup

Sticking with my plan of getting posts done on weekends, I picked three things to try out for you guys the past 2 days. The good news is, they were all AMAZING and I'm just so excited I want to post about all of them now! Unfortunately, that's proooooobably not going to happen, so I'll start with this one: Dill Pickle Soup.

I know what you're probably thinking: "Ew, pickles don't go in soup" to which I say "clearly you are a dill pickle hater" because the reality of the situation is, pickles can go in anything. Pickles are awesome. To me, they're like this amazing, magic creation that can make anything taste better. Because Pickles are awesome. Right? Right.

So, now that we've overcome THAT objection, allow me to tell you about this soup. It is delightful. It's creamy and thick & really more like a chowder than a soup. It has great flavour, fantastic texture and it's hearty...perfect for a cold day. Plus, this makes A LOT of soup, so you can put it in containers and freeze it for whenever you need a quick lunch/dinner. Also, if you use vegtable broth it is 100% vegetarian!

Unfortunately for this batch, I didn't have our homemade pickles on hand (they're all at my Dad's) so I had to use No Name, but the soup was still fantastic!

Dill Pickle Soup
adapted from Noble Pig

Print Recipe HERE
Ingredients:
5 1/2 cups chicken broth 
8-10 red flesh potatoes, peeled & quartered (8 if all large, 10 if some are small)
2 cups chopped carrots (small pieces)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup chopped dill pickles (small pieces)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
2 cups dill pickle juice
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Method
In a large pot, add the chicken broth, potatoes, carrots and butter. Bring to a boil and let cook until the potatoes are nice a soft. Add your pickles and turn the heat down and let simmer. 

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sour cream and water with a wooden spoon. Continue to mix until a nice paste is made. Next, using a whisk, mix 2 tbsp of the mixture into the soup. As you're stirring in the paste, break up the potatos with your whisk. At this point they'll be soft enough for you to do that. 

Add the pickle juice. I found that I got the 2 cups out of a large jar of pickles, but you might want to have 2 jars on hand JUST in case! Add the salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and stir the soup some more with your whisk. You want there to be some potato chunks, so stir until you feel the soup is where you want it to be! If you want it to be completely blended, you could take a hand mixer to it, but I really like finding surprise chunks of potato and pickle in there while I was eating the soup! 

Remove from heat and serve! Add a few sliced pickles on top (as shown below) for added taste & flourish!
You'll have plenty extra, so I put the soup in individual sized containers for quick meals!

Enjoy!
- Lisa
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest too! 

1 comment:

  1. Delicious and the recipe was easy to follow. I first came across dill pickle soup in a continental restaurant and decided to make it at home. Good decision! I recommend this recipe if you love dill pickles.

    ReplyDelete