Friday 3 January 2014

Mom's Famous Pizza Dip

Growing up with a pool, our house was often the place where friends and family congregated on a hot summer day. My parents also LOVED to entertain, so we had a lot of BBQs, Birthday parties and get-togethers at our home. I kid you not...every SINGLE time we had people over, they always asked for the same thing: My Mom's Pizza Dip. Old, young, kids, adults, they all wanted the same thing.

To this day, this dip is my favourite thing to bring to a get together. It's super easy to whip up, and it's a total crowd pleaser! When I brought it to our New Years party this year, I'm pretty sure it was gone in about 30 minutes. SO GOOD.

I think she got the original recipe from a Kraft magazine, but the recipe I use is the one she taught me!
Mom's Famous Pizza Dip
Soure: My Mom

Ingredients:
1 brick of softened cream cheese
2/3 cup regular or low fat mayo (don't use fat free, low fat is best)
1 can of Unico pizza sauce
2 cups shredded cheese (I prefer to use marble, better flavour)
Optional Toppings: sliced pepperettes, mushrooms, green peppers, olives etc.
Bag of round Tostitos (round works best for this dip, but scoops work well too!)

Method:
In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese and mayo with a hand mixer (you can also do this by hand if the cream cheese is soft enough). Using a spatula, spread out the mixture on any sort of platter. I use a pizza pan, but any sort of round platter will do! You'll probably have a bit left over, which is ok. Put that to the side for a moment.

Spread the pizza sauce evenly on top of your mayo/cream cheese base. Don't be shy with the sauce, but don't drown it either. You'll have a little extra of this too. Set this aside (I think you know where I'm going here).

Finally, sprinkle the cheese and your chosen toppings evenly on top. My personal favourite is sliced pepperettes and canned mushrooms (gross, I know). Put in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving so everything can set. 

Since I can't exactly dig into the dip before I bring it somewhere, I use whatever is left over to make small personal pizza dip...I wouldn't want to bring a less than perfect dip, afterall ;)


- Lisa
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment