Wednesday 8 January 2014

THE BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ever since I started this blog (which is nearing the 1 year anniversary!!!!) I've been on the hunt for the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies. I know you're probably all thinking "What about a family recipe?" to which I answer this - there is NO way I'll ever be able to replicate my Grandma's chocolate chip cookie recipe. They will never be the same unless SHE makes them, so why even bother trying?! I wanted a recipe that I could make my own.

So after almost a year of searching & experimenting, I have found it. The winning recipe comes from none other than my Celebrity Chef Crush - Michael Smith. Yes, I'm in love with Michael Smith. Why? Maybe because he has my dream kitchen or maybe because his recipes are so simple and easy to follow, maybe because he gives great tips and tricks...or maaaaaaaaaaaybe (probably) because he reminds me of Aiden from Sex and the City. Whatever, I love him.

Anywho, these cookies are the *BLEEP*ing best and I could eat them all in one sitting.The best thing about this recipe is that it takes about 5 mins to whip everything together and only 12 mins to bake. The ingredients are simple yet the product is extremely satisfying. PLUS, this batch makes about 12-15, which to me, is the perfect amount when you're looking for a sweet treat on a cold day. Or any day. Or after dinner. Or in the afternoon. Or anytime.

Also, you'll notice that these pictures are actually nice...why? Because my AMAZING Hubby bought me a GORGEOUS DSLR for Christmas! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Blogging in Hi-Def...nbd.

THE BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
Original Recipe by: Michael Smith
Print Recipe HERE
Ingredients:
1 1/2 all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp corn syrup
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips

Method:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F & line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats (I HAVE ONE NOW!!!!), parchment paper, tinfoil or grease with butter.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt with a whisk. Feel free to be liberal with the salt. Since you are using unsalted butter, the added salt adds a certain something to these cookies. Set bowl aside.
In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. You can also use a hand mixer or if you're really brave, by hand. Once everything is nice and smooth add in the corn syrup, egg and vanilla and mix until everything is combined. 

Scarpe down the sides of the bowl and slowly add in the flour mixture. Mix until JUST combined. 

**Side note, I still don't know what "Just Combined" means, but basically, I let the mixer mix until all the white from the flour is gone from the middle (even if there is some stuck on the side of the bowl). Seems to work.**

Stir in the glorious chocolate chips. I say 1 1/2 cups, but I probably put in close to 2 cups. I just love chocolate. 

Using a tablespoon, scoop out dough and place on a baking sheet and flatten slightly with your fingers. You'll want to leave plenty of space between the cookies so the can spread out (which they will). Bake for 12 mins. If you want a less chewy cookie, leave them in for another 2 minutes or so. Just until the edges start to turn a dark golden brown!

Remove from oven and let cool for 3 mins then transfer to a wire rack.Enjoy with a cold glass of milk!

- Lisa
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment