Wednesday 8 May 2013

Ooey Gooey Butter Bars


Holy sweet jeebus. These things are DEEEELISH. I found this recipe quite some time ago on the same site as the amazing Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, but hadn't gotten around to buying the cream cheese (that sh*t is expensive!) So last night, JJ and I took Molly for a walk and stopped in at the corner store to pick up the missing ingredients ($6 later...sheesh).

TOTALLY WORTH IT. I brought a couple to work for people to try and J got mad that I was sharing (who raised that boy?) because he loved them so much!
Important to note that these are really only ooey and gooey when you first take them out of the oven. After they are just soft and delightful.

P.S. these are also nut-free for my crazy friend A who must be the ONLY person in the planet who doesn't like peanut butter (weirdoooooo).

Ooey Gooey Butter Bars

Ingredients:
1 box of yellow cake mix (although might be fun to try other flava flaves)
1 egg
1/2 cup of butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 brick/cup of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened (don't mess around with no name for this this one, just get the name brand. Trust me.)
2 cups powdered sugar

Method
Pre-heat oven to 325 and grease a 9x13 pan (I think mine was 9 x 13, but I don't really know)

Mix the cake mix, egg and butter together until completely blended and smooth. Press into your pan:
Next, beat your 2 eggs together in a bowl. Add the softened cream cheese, (make sure it is quite soft, otherwise you'll get weird lumps in your mixture) and the powdered sugar. Pour this mixture on top of your base layer:
Now, Lil' Luna said to bake it for 40-45 mins. However, I found mine was ready to come out in 30mins. Just make sure you watch it and take it out when the edges start to go golden brown.

When it's all good to go, "sprinkle" on some powdered sugar. I don't have one of the nice metal mesh strainers to sprinkle it on, so I just kind of used my fingers:

Don't Judge.
It's probably best to wait until this have cooled...I waited a whole 10 mins until I dove right in. Yum yum yummers!

Enjoy!

- Lisa
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment